Thursday, January 10, 2013

Summary of the Last 6 Months

It's been six months since I last blogged. SIX WHOLE MONTHS! I guess you can say I've been just a little bit busy. A lot of stuff can happen in 6 month. One of my goals this year is to blog at least once per month. It's not much, but hey I've got to start somewhere. I think the hardest part for me is trying to think of what to write about that people would actually care to know. When it comes down to it, I just need to write so I can remember the small details that I tend to forget. I guess what I'm saying is that sorry if my blog is a bore, it's more for me than for anyone else anyway.

In September we finally got the results of Cora's autism testing back. Although I had been mentally preparing for the moment we had a definitive answer, I don't think anything can really prepare you to hear those words. I mean I've never in my life dreamed I'd be in this situation. I always knew that my child(ren) would be perfect. Well, I have taken the time I've needed to refocus and guess what...my kid is perfect. Perfectly Cora, and I don't know anyone else that is just like her. Anyway the test results show that Cora has moderate to severe autism. I don't fully agree with that diagnosis and still believe that she is mild at worst.

Right after we recieved Cora's diagnosis, the State of Utah began taking applications for a new pilot program that offers intensive therapies for autism. They planned on accepting 200 kids between the ages of 2 and 6 so we didn't think we had much of a chance of getting in but we applied just in case. I don't know if you have heard but ABA therapy (which is the therapy this program offers) is expensive. Starting at about $75 and hour on up. Also, most insurances (including ours) are not recognizing autism treatments and will not pay for therapy. Well right before Thanksgiving we were notified that Cora was admitted into the program. Cora also is starting a special preschool in March (also free of charge) that will provide additional therapies as well. This means that starting in two months, she will have 8 hours of therapy per day! This is overwhelming to me and I don't know how any 2-3 year old could deal with this much work but I know it will be best for her. It is proven that early, intense intervention helps treat autism. Her therapists even think she will be mainstreamed by the time she reaches preschool. It is unbelieveable how blessed we have been though all of this.

In other new: we bought a house! It's a cute, LITTLE thing but its ours and we love it. We are still trying to get everything settled but once I have it a little more manageable I will post some pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment