Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Surgery...

went well. I am a little drowsy and my foot is still uncomfortably numb, in fact it has been asleep for 6 hours now. Talk about tingly. It feels like an elephant has sat on my foot. Soon the the medicine will be wearing off and then I will probably wish I was back to this state of numbness. Oh well.

Anyone that wants to know about the surgery:

Surgery was at 7:30 this morning. When we got to the hospital we had to do the routine things like paperwork and whatnot. I got ready in a sweet hospital gown, hosptial socks, and my favorite--blue paper shorts. They were big enough to fit me and another whole person. They were AWESOME. My nurses were really nice. They even numbed my hand before they put in my IV, which usually is the worst part for me. I had a shared room but my roomate wasn't in until after I had already left for surgery. I have only had one other surgery...to remove my gallbladder. This was totally different. The plan was to keep me barely under, once I was asleep they would numb my foot, and when they were done they would send me to my room, skipping recovery to be with Ben. When they came to take me to the operating room, they gave me some sleeping medicine, before the hardcore anethesia, all I remember is being wheeled out the door of my room and I was out. The doctor had to shave off part of the bone joint which had an extra growth, cut my 1st metarsal bone in half and repositioned it with a pin, then lengthened some tendons and shortened others. When I woke up, I was in the recovery room and Ben was no where to be found! I was SO mad. Apparently I threw up all over before surgery so they had to put me completely under and put a tube down my throat helping me to breathe. Not exactly as planned but it wasn't too bad. I was in recovery for about an hour before I was able to go back to my room. I was ready to go home then but I had to wait about an hour. When they took me back to my room my abs were so sore. Apparently when I was trying to wake up, I kept freaking out trying to get off the bed and doing sit up like movements. I tell you that stuff makes me crazy!

Anyway, the surgery seems successful so far. I have a sweet boot that goes all the way up to my knee that I have to wear anytime I walk or stand. That will be in affect for six weeks, meaning I wont be able to drive myself for at least that long. In fact, if I am caught driving, they will give me a DUI! Ha. That would be a pretty funny way to get a DUI but I am not planning on testing this out. All I know is that my house is going to get pretty boring. And right now I have to be babysat since walking is nearly impossible and I can't get up to help Cora.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness! Sounds like quite the experience. I'm glad you're doing good though!

    ReplyDelete